The Veterans Resource Center at Northland is your one-stop-shop for all military benefits. If you are a Veteran, you may be eligible for the GI Bill or other military education benefits. You may also be eligible for disability services, personal counseling, tutorial assistance, financial aid or VA Funded work-study.

Welcome Veterans

The Veterans Certifying Official or the Higher Education Veterans Programs Regional Coordinator are available to guide you as you apply for your military education benefits. You may also be eligible for disability services, counseling, tutorial assistance, financial aid or VA funded work-study. We want to make sure you get all the benefits for which you are entitled. The Veterans Resource Center provides a place for study and to socialize with fellow veterans.

The application process involves two main steps: 1- Apply to Northland and 2-Apply for your military education benefits. The process for both is outlined below.

Apply to Northland

Here are the steps a Veteran needs to accomplish to apply to Northland. Schedule an appointment to meet with the Higher Education Veterans Programs Regional Coordinator, or staff at the on campus veteran’s center to discuss specific veterans/higher education questions.

  • 1Apply for admission through the College Admissions Office or online.
  • 2Request OFFICIAL high school or GED transcripts be sent directly to the campus.
  • 3Request all OFFICIAL college/military transcripts be sent to the college to be evaluated for transfer credit.
  • 4If you took the ACT test or have college credits in reading, English , or math, you MAY be waived from the assessment test. If so, please call to make an appointment to attend one of the scheduled Registration Days.
  • 5All students NOT waived, will need to schedule an assessment test. You will register for classes following your assessment test.
  • 6Apply for Financial Aid
  • 7If applicable, apply for Federal Tuition Assistance or State Tuition Reimbursement
  • 8Complete the Northland online orientation.
  • 9Meet with the Veterans Certifying Official and share a copy of your class schedule, DD-214, and VONAPP if you applied for benefits on line.

Financial Aid

Fill out the FREE application on the FAFSA website for federal student aid.

Apply for Financial Aid »

Apply for Military Education Benefits

Transfer Credit Information

Recent legislation in Minnesota requires Minnesota State Colleges and Universities to review military academic transcripts and give appropriate credit based on the American Council on Education (ACE) recommendations. To get your official military transcripts go to:

Chapter 33 GI Bill Program

Chapter 33 - The Post 9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days.

Below are descriptions of each of the military education benefits:

Chapter 30

This is the “active duty” Montgomery GI Bill. It provides up to 36 months of education benefits to eligible veterans. Active duty members pay in $100 per month for 12 months to receive the benefit. The benefit is scaled based upon number of credits taken.

Chapter 31

This is the Vocational Rehabilitation program. The veteran must have service connected disabilities to apply for the benefit.

Chapter 32

This is the predecessor to the Chapter 30 benefit. To be eligible for this program the veteran must have entered service for the first time between January 1, 1977, and June 30, 1985.

Chapter 35

This is the Survivors and Dependants education benefits. Dependents' Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits.

Chapter 1606

The Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve program may be available to you if you are a member of the Selected Reserve. The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. Generally this is the education benefit for soldiers that have not been deployed.

Chapter 1607

Montgomery GI Bill - REAP - It is a Department of Defense education benefit program designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operation) as declared by the President or Congress. The Department of Defense and the Department of Homeland Security will determine who is eligible for this program.

State Tuition Reimbursement (STR)

Minnesota State Tuition Reimbursement (STR) will pay for 100% of your tuition (not including student fees) and will pay up to the undergraduate rate at the University of Minnesota and up to 144 semester or 208 quarter credits.

This benefit may be used in conjunction with GI Bill and Federal Tuition Assistance. This benefit is available to members of the Minnesota National Guard and Minnesota Air National Guard.

Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA)

Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) will pay up to a set amount per Army fiscal year (Oct - Sept) in tuition expenses including student fees. This benefit is may be used in conjunction with the GI Bill and State Tuition Reimbursement (see attached letter for conditions). Please note this is not a guaranteed benefit. This program has a finite budget and is paid on a first come, first serve basis. Please apply early. You may apply for these benefits within 30 days of your semesters/quarters start date.

This program is available to drilling members of the Army National Guard or Army Reserve. In order to receive payment for a course, the course must be completed prior to your separation from any of the above mentioned military components. You may start receiving FTA benefits the day you enlist. FTA can be reimbursed for out of state institution tuition. Remember you must be an active member of the Guard or Reserve.

This benefit is paid up-front. You are required to earn a "C" or better in your classes, or in the event of a class taken pass/fail you must "pass". Failure to earn a "C" or better or 'pass" may result in repayment of FTA.

Get Started!

The GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals.

Apply for GI Bill Benefits »

How do I apply for the FTA program if I am a Minnesota National Guard member?

  • 1To apply for FTA, visit the the National Guard Virtual Armory website.
  • 2On the left side of the screen, click on "Register", then "ARNG member".
  • 3It will ask you for your Date of Birth and SSN. Click next.
  • 4Towards the top of the screen, click on the "Education" tab.
  • 5On the left side of the screen, click on "Online Applications", then "Application for Federal tuition".
  • 6The next screen will bring up the STATEMENT OF UNDERSTNDING. You must read and understand this statement. If you agree, click on "AGREE", then click on "CONTINUE".
  • 7Complete your CONTACT INFORMATION" and make changes as necessary to the information already filled in, then click on "CONTINUE".
  • 8Complete the SCHOOL INFORMATION screen. Ensure the course dates are accurate. All courses entered on this application must have the same Course Begin and Course End Dates. For courses with different dates you must submit separate applications for ARNG FTA. Click on "CONTINUE".
  • 9Complete the SCHOOL INFORMATION screen. The "# OF HOURS" column means # of credits. When figuring the COST/HOUR, divide ONLY the tuition charged by the number of credits you are taking. Unless class specific, fees are normally charged the number of credits. In the "AUTHORIZED FEES" column, add the authorized fees charged and divide by the number of credits you are taking. Multiply this amount by the # of credits for each of your courses and enter the total in the AUTHORIZED FEES column. Click on "REVIEW".
  • 10On the "REVIEW" screen, the program will list any required information. Click on the section to enter any missing information.
  • 11Read the ARNG-FTA RECOUPMENT POLICY and click on "AGREE".
  • 12Click on "PRINT APPLICATION" to print a copy of the application for personal records.
  • 13Click on "SUBMIT" to submit the application to the Education Services Office.

How do I apply for the FTA program if I am a reservist?

  • 1Obtain and follow the Tuition Assistance Checklist
  • 2Print, Read, and sign the Statement of Understanding - USAR Tuition Assistance. You must submit a signed copy with your first TA request each FY. (Subsequent TA requests during the FY do not require a copy be attached.)
  • 3Complete a DA Form 2171-E, Request for Tuition Assistance. Print and sign form.
  • 4Complete and 88th RRC Tracking Form for Tuition Assistance Request
  • 5Submit the following forms to the 88th RRC Education Office for your TA authorization - (request must be received before the first day of class.)
    • Statement of understanding USAR - Tuition Assistance
    • Tracking Form for Tuition Assistance Request
    • Request for Tuition Assistance, DA Form 2171-E
    • Degree Plan
    • Copy of billing statement showing tuition and fees
  • 6Submit approved 2171-E to school Business Office

Web-Enabled Education Benefits System (WEBS) Sign-In »

What are the federal tuition assistance policies for Army Reservists?

FY06 Tuition Assistance (TA) Policies for TPU soldiers

  • The soldier must be a drilling reservist in good standing.
  • The soldier must have completed Phase 1 of basic training.
  • The soldier may use Montgomery GI Bill benefits simultaneously if taking 6 or more credit hours.
  • The soldier must declare an educational goal leading to a certificate or credential higher than current degree level, capping at master's leave.
  • Enlisted soldiers must have sufficient time remaining on their term of service to complete the course before separation.
  • Commissioned and warrant officers must have at least 4 years of Selected Reserve service remaining from the completion date of the course for which TA is provided.
  • The soldier must turn in to the school a DA Form 2171-E signed by the 88th RRC ESS, along with his/her portion of the tuition/fees.
  • The school will bill the 88th RRC Arm Education Office for the government's portion of the tuition.

The USAR's FY06 TA policy

  • 100% of tuition costs, not to exceed $250.00 per semester hour or $166.67 per quarter hour and
  • TA is limited to $4,500 per fiscal year.
  • Soldiers must apply for TA through the Army Reserve website.

For help on tuition assistance policies please contact:

Army Education Center
HQ 88th RRC
506 Roeder Circle
Fort Snelling, MN
Toll Free: 1.800.THE ARMY, ext 3081
Fax: 612.713.3365

Minnesota National Guard Educational FAQs »

Minnesotans’ Military Appreciation Fund

The Minnesota Military Appreciation Fund is a fund established by private residents of Minnesota to thank Minnesota service members for their service. The MMAF will provide $250 -- $500 to all Minnesota military personnel who have served in a combat zone since September 11, 2001. They will increase the amount of the award to Purple Heart recipients and to the families of those killed in action. See eligibility criteria below.

  • Minnesota taxpaying residents on active military duty
  • Minnesota taxpaying residents assigned to Reserve or Guard units located outside of Minnesota
  • Non-Minnesota taxpayers assigned to a Minnesota Reserve or Guard Unit Member of one of the above mentioned groups who served after September 11, 2001 and was honorably discharged

Minnesota War Orphan Tuition Grant

The State of Minnesota will provide free tuition at any state college or university to Minnesota war orphans until a bachelor's degree or equivalent has been obtained. Eligibility determined by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Please see eligibility criteria below.

  • The applicant (War Orphan) shall be a resident of the State of Minnesota for at least two years immediately prior to application.
  • The deceased veteran (parent) must have been a Minnesota resident at the time of entry on active military duty and for the six months immediately preceding entry on active duty.
  • The veteran must have died while on active duty, or as a result of a service connected condition. This determination is made by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (US DVA), or other instrumentality of the United States.
  • The definition of "veteran's child" includes birth or adoption, but does not include stepchildren or foster children.

For more information visit the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs website. See your County Veterans Service Officer to apply.

Minnesota GI Bill

The Minnesota G.I. Bill program is a new program in 2007 established to provide postsecondary educational assistance to eligible Minnesota veterans who served on or after September 11, 2001. Full-time undergraduate or graduate students may be eligible receive up to $1,000 per semester and part-time students can receive up to $500 per semester.

Eligibility Requirements

You must be a Minnesota resident enrolled at Minnesota institutions who is a:

  • Veteran who is serving or has served honorably in any branch of the United States armed forces at any time on or after September 11, 2001, or;
  • Non-veteran who has served honorably for a total of five years or more cumulatively as a member of the Minnesota National Guard or any other active or reserve component of the United States armed forces, and any part of that service occurred on or after September 11, 2001, or;
  • Surviving spouse or children of a person who has served in the military at any time on or after September 11, 2001, and who has died or has a total and permanent disability as a direct result of that military service.