Email is our most common form of day-to-day communication and personal means of conveying our brand. Whether we are communicating with prospective students, donors, business partners, colleagues at other colleges or each other, we must make an effort to strike the appropriate balance between function and personality when crafting a digital signature.
The following provides guidance on how to properly construct a Northland branded email signature. Arial, Calibri, or Verdana are the preferred default font substitute that best match our official brand typeface families.
Approved Signature Templates
Email signature standards showcase uniformity and professionalism. Please use one of the following templates as designed.
OPTION 1: Minimal Signature
OPTION 2: Minimal Signature with Multiple Phone Numbers
OPTION 3: Signature with Mailing Address
For some offices and recipients, it makes sense to include the mailing address as well.
OPTION 4: Expanded Signature with Links
Social media and/or website links may also be included in the following approved format:
How to Create an Email Signature
The links below provide instructions for creating and editing email signatures in different email clients:
Signature Standards & Guidelines
Using consistent email signatures for @northlandcollege.edu email accounts is an opportunity to create brand alignment while relaying relevant contact information. In addition, consistent and clear email signatures present a professional appearance for conducting business through email.
The following are recommended guidelines for faculty and staff members using an @northlandcollege.edu email account:
- You can include the approved logo image as part of your college email signature. When used this way, the logo should appear at the bottom of the email signature, below all the other elements of the signature.
- Do not resize the logo image, and keep it on a line by itself, without any other text or graphics on the same line.
- Do not use pirated college logos in your email signatures. Download the approved version of the college wordmark that has been optimized specifically for use in email signatures. This wordmark logo is approved for email signature use only. Do not use in any other application or for any other purpose.
- Calibri, Arial or Verdana are the preferred substitute fonts that best match our official brand typeface families. Unusual fonts may not display correctly and can have an unprofessional appearance.
- Size the body copy type at 11-14 points.
- Choose a single color such as black or dark gray for body copy. Avoid other colors as they can present accessibility issues for some readers.
URLs, Images and Icons
- Send emails in professional formats. Avoid multicolored fonts and pictures for backgrounds. Those accouterments often times distract the reader or make the message difficult to read. Background images will also bloat the file size of your email forcing recipients with slow connections to wait an agonizingly long time for your message to download.
- Do not include images in email signatures other than the approved college wordmark. The use of images in emails can present problems such as; increasing the size of email in-boxes, images can show up in email clients as message attachments, and some email clients and mobile devices block the appearance of images.
- Use simplified URLS (without “http://”).
- Include social media links in plain text without icons. Icons will be too small to use on a mobile device.
Slogans and Quotes
- Inclusion of slogans, quotes or taglines is discouraged as readers unfamiliar with Northland may think of them as College-wide views rather than personal sentiments.