- Credits: 44
- Degree Type: Diploma
- Campus: East Grand Forks, Thief River Falls, Online
Nursing is a growing field with multiple career opportunities. Practical Nursing is designed to provide the knowledge and skills necessary for students to enter the world of nursing. Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN) may provide care for persons of all ages in a variety of settings including hospitals, clinics, nursing homes, home care, hospice, camp nursing and occupational nursing.
Students in the Practical Nursing program will receive supervised experience in caring for clients in a variety of health care settings including hospital, long term care, clinic, and childcare. Students are taught to practice within the scope of practical nursing while under the supervision of a Registered Nurse.
LPN's use critical thinking and technical skills to assist clients to meet their physical and psychosocial needs. LPN's administer medications and perform treatments. LPN's use a variety of medical equipment, such as IV pumps, syringes, cardiac monitors, diagnostic testing devices and computers.
As a graduate of the Practical Nursing program, students are eligible to apply to take the National Council Licensure Exam for the Practical Nurse.
For information on the PN Distance/Hybrid program, review this questionnaire.
Practical Nursing Program Handbook Fall 2020
Graduates are employed in long term care facilities, rehabilitation hospitals, clinics, acute care hospitals, group homes, child care facilities, and school nursing.
Register for Classes » View Academic Calendar »
Program Specific Requirements
Spring 2021 Application
The Practical Nursing Application
is open from September 1st through October 1st, 2020.
This is a printable document
with information on the PN program admission, progression and retention policies.
- Complete the NCTC college admission process and declare the Practical Nursing major.
- Satisfactory completion of developmental courses if indicated by Next Generation Accuplacer.
Arithmetic: 230-249 AAF (Math Lvl 3)
240-300 QAS (Math Lvl 2)
Students achieving assessment scores below the established minimums must register and successfully complete (with a grade of C or better) the required developmental courses in order to meet graduation requirements.
- Application for eligibility to enroll in the PNSG course sequence should occur when the student is enrolled in their final semester of pre-PNSG courses, which are * :
- HLTH 1110 Nursing Assistant (NA) course within last 5 years or currently on nursing assistant registry.
- HLTH 1106 Medical Terminology 2 credits
- MATH 1003 Math Applications for Nurses
- BIOL 2252 Anatomy & Phys I
- BIOL 2254 Anatomy & Phys II
- ENGL 1111 Composition I
- * Students must achieve a C or higher grade in all required courses.
- Students wishing to be considered to begin the PNSG course sequence in fall semester -- Application window open February 1st - March 1st. All required information must be submitted by the application deadline. Students completing pre-PNSG courses during the summer semester will only be considered for fall semester start pending space availability.
- Students wishing to be considered to begin the PNSG course sequence in spring semester -- Application window open September 1st - October 1st. All required information must be submitted by the application deadline.
- PNSG Selection Criteria
- Students must have a minimum cumulative 2.5 GPA for PN program entrance and meet the college's required cumulative completion percentage standard. (NCTC policy 3070 Satisfactory Academic Progress) Students in a warning, probation, or suspension status will not be considered for PN program eligibility.
- Achievement of a minimum cumulative score of 50 on the ATI TEAS® examination. The ATI TEAS® test must be taken before the application window closes (before March 1 for fall start and before Oct. 1 for spring start).
- Current CPR certification. -- Current CPR certifications accepted include: Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers (American Heart Assn) or CPR for the Professional Rescuer (Red Cross.)
- Completion of the College Health Screening & Immunization information requirements through Castle Branch (cost $35) upon acceptance into the program.
- Completion and approval for clinical participation by the Minnesota Department of Human Services Licensing Division Background Study and fingerprinting (cost approximately $10) upon acceptance into the program. Completion and approval for clinical participation by a National Background Study through Castle Branch. Cost $45.75 first year, $26 second year (if needed).
- NCTC Nursing Program Alignment with Other States' Educational Requirements.
- There is not a guarantee that a program cohort will start every semester on each site (East Grand Forks, Thief River Falls & Distance). Pending enrollment numbers, if a cohort does not start on your site of choice you may be offered a space in one of the other site cohorts. Additionally, a blended site (some classes face-to-face and some classes distance) may be used pending enrollment numbers.
- Health and Human Services students must comply with both Minnesota law and clinical facility requirements related to immunizations and background screenings.
- Students who do not comply with the required health and immunization requirements may not be permitted to attend clinical which WILL affect program progression and completion.
Northland Community & Technical College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
The Practical Nursing program is approved by the Minnesota Board of Nursing.
The Northland Community & Technical College Practical Nursing Program is accredited by National League for Nursing Commission for Nursing Education Accreditation (NLN CNEA), located at 2600 Virginia Avenue, NW, 8th Floor, Washington, DC 20037; phone 202-909-2500.
Program Accreditation »
Why choose Northland?
Whether you're looking for a stepping stone to a four-year degree, hands-on training to jump start your career, or something in between - you'll find it at Northland.