Transfer Students

Transfer Glossary Terms

Course Substitutions

Courses which may be used in lieu of the course listed in the program plan. A student must submit the proper paper work to the Transfer Specialist for review.


Degree Audit Reporting System. This report will assist you and your advisor to choose the courses you need to finish your program.

General Education Courses

Considered the first two year courses in a college or university. (i.e., Freshman English, Psychology, Sociology, History). Colleges have general education requirements for students to acquire for graduation requirements.

Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC)

All public colleges and universities in Minnesota have a prescribed listing of ten goal areas for the Liberal Arts, (Associate in Arts), degree or the general education requirements for graduation from a 4 year institution. Learn more about Northland MnTC Goals.

Official Transcript

A transcript which comes directly from the college or university the student attended. Must be requested in writing and may have a fee.

Regionally Accredited College

Colleges and schools must meet specific requirements through a review process by a third party. This assures a high academic standard has been achieved. Accreditation is required of a college before they can offer Financial Aid.