Trademarks and Licensing

Trademarks and Licensing manages the proper use of Northland's (academic and athletic) name, logos and signature marks to protect the integrity of the College’s identity, brand and reputation.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I order items using Northland's logos or wordmarks for my department, program, team or club?

A: Any products bearing Northland (academic or athletic) trademarks, images, indica or other references to Northland or Pioneers must be purchased from a licensed vendor. Step-by-step instructions on ordering merchandise or promotional items can be found here.

Q: Where do I find the logos/trademarks?

A: The logo standard guide can be found on the Northland Brand Standards Manual. At this time college logos and trademarks are not available for download.

Q: Can I create a new logo or a variant of Northland's logo for my department?

A: New logos or variations of the College identity system are NOT permitted. One of the main goals of Northland's rebrand is to enhance the profile of the college by having a consistent visual representation across all of our college units. Logos have been created for all programs, departments and units and can be provided to your vendor on request.

Q: I want my project to be unique. Is following the brand standards optional?

A: Following brand standards are not optional. Brand standards are created to assist you in developing marketing collateral and merchandise that reinforce Northland's image. The visual impact of any and all materials that include any of Northland's logos or wordmarks have an influence on how people perceive the college. Consistency builds awareness and trust. By consistently using the brand guidelines found here you will properly align your materials with Northland Community and Technical College's identity.

Q: What fonts should I use?

A: Northland’s official fonts are from the Ginto Nord and Ginto Normal families. Because font licenses are expensive and are required for each unique user, currently only the Marketing Communications and Brand Management department hold licenses for these fonts.

Arial should be used for everyday business applications like Word, PowerPoint and emails so these documents appear the same for those receiving them as they do for those creating them.

Q: Does printing (paper products) need to go through licensing approval?

A: Northland has a self-service page that has templates for digital letterhead, business cards, powerpoint presentations, signage, brochures and other items available for staff and students to utilize.

Any use of Northland's brand must adhere to the guidelines outlined in the College Brand Standards Manual. This applies to brochures, flyers, social media posts utilizing custom graphics, and advertisements. If you are unsure about your design, please contact Marketing Communications and Brand Management. We can review and recommend changes if the design doesn't meet guidelines.

Any printed item utilizing an outside printer must be submitted for licensing approval.

Brand Identity Standards

Northland has introduced a revolutionary visual identity system to enhance and streamline how it presents itself to the world.

Learn More →