Northland drops mask mandate for students, employees, and visitors inside campus facilities.
As a Respiratory Therapist you can hold an exciting position on the health care team. Under the supervision of a physician, the Respiratory Therapist is responsible for oxygen and gas therapy, care of patients with cardiopulmonary problems including cardiopulmonary arrest, delivery of aerosolized medication, chest physiotherapy, obtaining and analyzing arterial blood gas specimens, pulmonary function testing, maintenance of patients in need of mechanical ventilators, and education of patients and families.
The Respiratory Therapist program is a Hyflex program. Students can participate in the theory components in person, online via zoom, or online asynchronously. There are required meeting times that student must attend in person for lab and clinical.
The graduate of the AAS in Respiratory Care will be eligible, as required by the National Board of Respiratory Care (NBRC), to take first the entry Level exam, followed by the advanced level examination to be credentialed as a Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT). Both levels require national credentialing examinations to earn the credentials of Certified or Registered respectively. Demand for the Respiratory Care Practitioner is very high, with a nationwide projected increase of over 50%.
|Course #||Course Name||Credit(s)|
|HLTH 1106||Medical Terminology||2|
|RESP 1104||Non Acute Resp Care||4|
|RESP 1110||Adult Critical Care||4|
|RESP 1120||Cardio Physiology/Assess||3|
|RESP 1126||Clinical I||1|
|RESP 2207||Clinical II||2|
|RESP 2211||Clinical III||2|
|RESP 2212||Diagnostic Procedures||3|
|RESP 2232||Pediatric AdvLife Support||1|
|RESP 2236||Neonatal Resuscitation Pr||1|
|RESP 2242||Neo/Peds Critical Care||4|
|RESP 2244||Integrated Pract I||1|
|RESP 2246||Neonatal Internship I||1|
|RESP 2250||Internship I||5|
|RESP 2252||Advanced Critical Care||4|
|RESP 2254||Internship II||5|
|RESP 2260||Neonatal Internship II||1|
|RESP 2262||Internship III||3|
|RESP 2264||Integrated Pract II||1|
|RESP 2276||Adv Prac Registry Review||3|
|RESP 2278||Patient Ed & Wellness||2|
|BIOL 2260||Anatomy & Phys I||4|
|BIOL 2262||Anatomy & Phys II||4|
|ENGL 1111||Composition I||3|
|G3: Natural Sciences Elec ( *See Elective Options Listed Below )||4|
|G5: History/Social Elec ( *See Elective Options Listed Below )||3|
|G6: Human/Fine Arts Elec ( *See Elective Options Listed Below )||3|
Program Elective Course Options
For this particular pathway, NCTC recommends a student explore further coursework in the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum areas listed below. Need help? Schedule an appointment with a Northland Academic Advisor for assistance in selecting courses.
|Course #||Course Name||Credits|
|G3: Natural Science Electives|
|CHEM 1020||Intro to Chemistry||4|
|CHEM 1122||General Chemistry II||5|
|CHEM 2211||Organic Chemistry I||5|
|G5: History/Social Science Electives|
|PSYC 1105||Intro to Psychology||3|
|PSYC 2201||Developmental Psychology||3|
|PSYC 2215||Abnormal Psychology||3|
|G6: Humanities/Fine Arts Electives|
|PHIL 1101||Intro to Philosophy||3|
|PHIL 1102||Intro to Ethics||3|
|PHIL 2210||Morals and Medicine||3|
1. Appropriate Accuplacer scores or successful completion of ENGL0095, MATH0098 must be completed before entering any RESP courses.
2. Completion of the RESP program application.
3. TEAS V for Allied Health (AH) FAQ sheet adjusted individual total score of at least 45%. Review the directions on how to create an account.
4. Annual enrollment into the Respiratory Therapist semesters 1-6 courses is limited to 24 students per semester.
-- Acceptance into the Respiratory Therapist program is based upon eligibility for and successful online registration into all semester 1 Respiratory Therapist coursework.
-- Students are encouraged to declare Respiratory Therapist as their major and to meet with an academic advisor prior to registering for Respiratory Therapist classes to be sure that they meet all requirements.
5. Once the online registration capacity of 24 students enrolled in RESP courses is reached, any student wanting to enroll into the respiratory therapist coursework will be encouraged to register online into the electronic waiting lists.
-- Students are also encouraged to take advantage of this time to take non-respiratory coursework to improve their chances of success in RESP course work.
6. Students on the waiting lists are encouraged to check online registration and their email, as students may drop from registration or eligibility at any time up to the first week of the semester.
7. Completion and approval for clinical participation of the Minnesota Department of Humans Services Licensing Division Background Study and fingerprinting (cost approximately $10) upon program entry. Completion and approval for clinical participation of a National Background Study through Castle Branch. Cost $45.75 first year, $26 second year (if needed).
8. A IBM compatible laptop computer is recommended for semesters four through six.
9. All required courses for the program must be completed with a grade of C or better.
10. Completion of the College Health Screening & Immunization information requirements through Castle Branch (cost $45) prior to enrollment in RESP courses.
11. Current CPR certification. CPR for Health Care Providers (American Heart Association) or CPR for Professional Rescuer (Red Cross) is required prior to enrollment in semesters 2-6 of RESP courses.
Northland Community & Technical College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
The program is accredited by the:
Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care
Program Outcome Data
264 Precision Blvd
Telford, TN 37690
Program number: 200340
CoARC accredits respiratory therapy education programs in the United States. To achieve this end, it utilizes an ‘outcomes based’ process. Programmatic outcomes are performance indicators that reflect the extent to which the educational goals of the program are achieved and by which program effectiveness is documented.
Whether you're looking for a stepping stone to a four-year degree, hands-on training to jump start your career, or something in between - you'll find it at Northland.
|Take a Virtual Campus Tour »||Request Information »|
|Read Student Stories »||Start Your Application »|
|View College Viewbook »||Schedule Campus Visit »|