Keep working, wherever you are. When you need to work remotely from home due to closure of the College or widespread absences, utilize these tools and tips to stay productive and connected.
Getting Started Working Remotely
To ensure that you can remain as productive as possible, please keep the following in mind:
Use the storage guide above to move data from your P: or other local and network drives to one of the tools listed so you can have access to it anywhere you may be.
Virtual Private Network (VPN) access is being granted on a case-by-case basis. Remember that you do not necessarily need VPN to work from home. Many work tasks can be completed, and systems accessed without the need for a VPN connection. Follow the guidelines below in the “Getting Connected” section below.
- You do not need a Minnesota State issued PC to access Office 365. On your personal device, go to portal.office.com to have access to all your Office tools via the web.
- You may video conference using, Teams, or Zoom. It is highly recommended to open and login into Teams because it will show your presence to others on the network. Additionally, it also looks at your calendar and activity and will show if you are available or not. This is extremely invaluable in a remote work setting.
- You can place “phone calls” using Teams. Cellular networks will be under tremendous strain (high usage), and connections may not always be available.
- Office 365 is rated for all levels of data storage – however, here are the recommended tools for the various data types: (Learn more about data types.)
- Highly Restricted Data: SharePoint, Team Sites
- Restricted Data: SharePoint, Team Sites (OneDrive, if necessary)
- Public/Not Restricted: One Drive
Tools to Successfully Work from Home
Users with laptops assigned to them should plan to use these devices at home. Users without assigned laptops should plan to use their home computers and laptops. Laptops are available on a very limited basis. Remember that most work can be done from a home/personal computing device.
- Reliable, high-speed internet
- Newer laptop or desktop computer
- Phone access (Having a phone, landline or cellular, is not required, but highly recommended as a backup in case you experience technical difficulties.)
Tips for Working from Home
- Create a quiet, comfortable work space.
- Minimize distractions.
- Set a consistent work schedule and stick to it.
- Stay virtually connected with colleagues using tools like Microsoft Office 365 and Zoom.
- If you are working with two monitors (laptop and additional), press the Windows Key +P and select Extend. This will extend your screen instead of the default mirroring.
- If you reset your StarID password from home you will continue to login to your computer with the OLD password, but your NEW password will be required for all other connections. (Email, Teams, D2L, VPN, etc)
- Don't be afraid to reach out for help if you're feeling stuck.
Follow the guides below on how to get connected.
Note that most services and applications can be accessed without the use of VPN. VPN is only needed for certain cases. VPN availability is very limited and should only be accessed on an as-needed basis. Please be courteous to your colleagues and utilize this resource minimally. Logout of the system when you are done with your current tasks.
Device or Tool to Use for Access
||Northland Assigned Device
Applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Teams, One Drive, Outlook.
|Zoom Video Conferencing
|IT Help Desk (GroupLink)
|Mapped Network Drives (P:, N:, U:, etc.)
Administrative Apps on Employee Home(Accounting Application, Marketplace, etc.), ISRS Modules (Accounting, ISRS Management, Purchasing, etc.), ImageNow, DARS.
Securely Access & Share Northland Resources Remotely
Virtual Private Network (VPN)
Securely access Northland resources over a non-Northland Internet connection. While connected to the VPN, your Northland-related data is encrypted. Due to current capacity limitations, please only connect to the VPN when using a service that requires VPN and be sure to disconnect from the VPN when you are no longer using that service. Refer to the guidelines in the “Getting Connected” section above.
Please note that most Northland resources, such as Office 365, Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Outlook, Zoom, OneDrive, and IT Help Desk GroupLink don't require the use of VPN.
MoveItSecurely is a secure file transfer solution available to Minnesota State employees.
MoveItSecurely can be used to transfer files securely, as the software name implies, and also to transfer large files that are too large to send via email. This system is designed to send files securely to both internal and external recipients and replaces the transfer of sensitive data via email. Sensitive data refers to Social Security numbers, grades, drivers license information, etc. If you are uncertain whether data is sensitive, please use MoveItSecurely. This software is not intended to replace network drives that are currently used to share files among departments or programs.
Sending a Package via MoveItSecurely
- Log in to the MoveItSecurely website with your StarID and StarID password
- Click on Send Package.
- In the To field, enter the recipient's email address as well as a Subject and Notes
- If you intend to send a large file, Drop or browse to upload the file
- The filename will appear in the box when done
- If you want only to receive a file, leave the upload empty
- Click the Send button
Please Note: If the receiver of the package doesn't have a MoveItSecurely account, one will be created for them, and you will receive a username and password to send them so they can log in.
Receiving a Package via MoveItSecurely
- You will receive an email notifying you of a new package
- Click the link to the MoveItSecurely website
- Log in and, if this is your first time*, you may be asked to change your password
- A new message should be displayed, and you will be able to click on it. Any attachments can be downloaded by clicking the Download button
- You can reply to the message and send a return file following the instructions for Sending a Package above
- Packages will remain for up to 14 days and can be retrieved later by clicking the Packages link on the top left side of the screen and clicking the inbox
Please Note: If a faculty member uses MoveItSecurely to send to a student, the student must have their college email set as their preferred email in order to receive the message. In addition, users who do not have a StarID must receive a first-time username and password from the person sending the message over MoveItSecurely before they will be able to access it.
Share Documents Online with Office 365
You can access Office 365 applications and your OneDrive files anywhere you have internet access. Please note that Office 365 and OneDrive do not require the use of VPN.
- Go to portal.office.com
- Sign-in with your StarID@minnstate.edu username and StarID password.
You can elect to use the online web apps available, or, as a current employee of Minnesota State, you can install Office 365 on up to 5 personal devices. The installation is good until you are no longer employed by Minnesota State.
Install Office 365 on a Personal Device
- Sign-in to the Office 365 Portal
- From the home page select Install Office, then Office 365 apps.
- Click to SAVE the installation file, then follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup.
Host Meetings Online or Use Virtual Collaboration Spaces
Microsoft Teams combines modern online meeting technology with persistent chat, file storage, and collaboration. Zoom is a web-based video conferencing tool with a local, desktop client and a mobile app that allows users to meet online, with or without video for up to 500 attendees.
Join a Zoom or Microsoft Teams Meeting
- Open the calendar meeting request and click on the Join… meeting link located in the message.
- If you are using a Minnesota State issued device, if asked, select to either Open Microsoft Teams, or Open Zoom Meetings. If using a personal device, select to join the meeting using the web application.
- Continue with the instructions below that match the tool you are using.
- If you experience feedback or background noise, consider using a headset.
Using Microsoft Teams
- In the Teams window click JOIN NOW.
- Click the Video button to toggle the camera off and on.
- Click the Microphone button to toggle muting your microphone. (it is best practice to keep your microphone muted when not speaking)
- Click the Up-Arrow button to share your computer desktop.
- Click the Chat icon to add attachments or send chat messages.
- When done, hang up by clicking on the red Phone icon.
Please Note: First time Zoom Users, please follow the instructions below before proceeding.
- Click to Join with Computer Audio – you may elect to test your speaker and microphone prior to joining.
- Use the icons at the bottom of the window to control muting your microphone, toggling video, sharing your computer desktop, and chatting with participants.
- Click the red Leave Meeting at the end of the row to leave the meeting.
Please note: If you have a college laptop, then you will have a webcam at the top of the screen. It may have a slider covering it. If you have a college desktop you have a webcam at the top of the monitor, or on the top in the middle you need to press down and a camera will rise from the monitor.
Add Zoom for Outlook
FIRST TIME ZOOM USERS, please follow these steps to prepare Zoom (you need only do this once):
- Open a browser and go to minnstate.zoom.us.
- Click the Sign In button.
- Enter your StarID username and password to sign-in.
- In the top right click corner, click to select your Profile.
- Edit your “Personal Meeting ID” to be your office telephone number.
- Customize your “Personal Link” to be your first and last name (no spaces).
- Save your changes.
- Open Microsoft Outlook.
- In the Home tab, select Get Add-ins.
- Search for and select “Zoom for Outlook” (by clicking the ADD button).
- Once added, close the Add-Ins window.
Create a Zoom Meeting
- Create a meeting request as you normally would.
- Under the MEETING tab, select the Add a Zoom Meeting button in the Home tab.
- At the pop-up, select the SSO hyperlink at the bottom of the window.
- Enter “minnstate” for the Domain then click CONTINUE.
- Enter your StarID username and password to sign-in.
Zoom Help Center
There are many ways to get assistance with Zoom video conferencing.
Other Helpful Links
Access Your Office Phone & Voicemail Remotely
Access Your Voicemail Remotely
Voice messages left on your office line will automatically be sent as an email message to your Outlook email. You may also remotely check and manage voice messages as follows:
- Call your office phone (10-digit number)
- When you hear the voice mail greeting, press the [*] Key
- Enter your mailbox number (your extension), followed by the POUND key [#]
- Enter your mailbox password, followed by the POUND key [#]
Forwarding Your Office Phone
To forward your office calls to an outside phone line:
- On your office phone, find and press the Call Forward button (“CFwdALL”) or the (“Forward ALL”)
- After the beeps, PRESS 6, then enter the full 10-digit number you wish to forward your calls to, including the area code (for example, “6-218-555-5555”). Please note: The phone number you forward too must be a local number, not a long-distance number. Long-distance numbers cause issues.
Please note: If you are already offsite and cannot come into the office, submit a GroupLink ticket that includes your office phone number and the number you wish to forward to. A team member will set up a call forwarding for you.
Collaborate anywhere, on any device
Mobility doesn’t have to limit productivity. Cisco Jabber delivers instant messaging, voice and video calls, voice messaging, desktop sharing, conferencing, and presence.
Cisco Jabber User Guide »
Get Help & Support
IT can provide support for:
- Assistance accessing enterprise systems and services such as the Office 365 portal, VPN (SecureApps), D2L Brightspace, Microsoft Teams, and Zoom will be available.
- Technical support for Northland hardware, software, and applications via remote techniques and tools (*we will not provide on-site/in-home assistance).
The following IT support services are NOT provided:
- Internet or network support for services or devices not supplied or owned by Northland Community and Technical College for the purposes of employee telecommuting. Call your ISP provider if you are experiencing internet connectivity issues.
- Support for any computing hardware, software, or applications not owned or supplied by Northland Community and Technical College.
- On-site or in-home support
Request Northland IT Support
To request support or assistance, submit a ticket using the GroupLink Ticket system.
If for some reason you are unable to submit a ticket, the following options are available:
- Send a detailed email message to email@example.com
- Call and leave a detailed phone message, including your full name, a call back number, and a full description of your request (1-218-683-8581 or 1-218-793-2433)